Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Our First Trip to the Emergency Room

I'm sad to say that we had to make our first trip to the ER on Sunday night with Jack. I am honestly surprised that it has taken this long and don't think it will be the last time.

What a way to welcome Brandon and I home from Key West....Kim cooked a fabulous dinner for us and we had just finished eating. Kim and I were cleaning dishes, Dad was outside with Jack, and Brandon was relaxing in the living room. Jack came running in wanting his milk that was on the island. Kim stopped what she was doing to give it to him but wasn't quick enough. In the time that she put the towel down and turned around he had attempted to climb the barstool and failed. His leg slipped through the HEAVY wooden barstool and the barstool came down on top of him. The heaviest part of the stool, the seat, fell right on his mouth. When I realized what was going on I ran over and there was blood everywhere. I ran him to our bedroom and attempted to wash out his mouth to examine what was going on. It looked awful and at one point it looked like he had bitten part of his tongue. I called 911 because there was so much blook and his lip had turned blue and was sticking out as far as his nose.
I don't know how it works everywhere else but in Bham the firetruck and their paramedics come first and then the ambulance. When the firetruck showed up Jack had calmed down and was such a great patient. The paramedic took one look, assured us that his tongue was okay, but that he would probably need stitches in his lip and gums. We loaded him up and headed to the hospital. When we got in the car Jack said "Momma, helicopter bring Jack to hospital", "No Momma bring Jack" He was obviously upset that a helicopter didn't come to our house and I have no idea where that came from.
By the time we got to the hospital, the swelling had gone down a good bit and we were starting to think that he may not have to get stitches, but needed a doctor to obviously confirm that and to also look at his teeth and gums that we couldn't get to because of the swelling.
I know that the sick people in the ER thought that we were crazy because from the time we walked in Jack was bossing everyone around and running up and down the hallway as if nothing had just happened. He kept asking for milk, but we told him we would have to ask the doctor. As soon as we got to our room, the first thing he did was look at the lady that was checking us in and say "Doctor, Jack have milk". Again, I am sure she thought we were very overprotective parents bringing our child to the ER for a busted lip. The doctor came in and Jack laid back and let him look around. He said he had done a number on his lip and gums but there is nothing that you can do in the mouth. It just has to heal itself. I was so relieved!!!!! We packed up and headed home. Jack was such a trooper. I know what it feels like to have a small cut or ulcer and his is 10 times worse than that. He is eating and drinking as if it never happened.
In fact, he has tried to climb the same barstool that fell on top of him 3 times since and when I ask if he wants to get another bo bo and end up at the hospital, he says (very excited)"yeah Momma, firetruck come, go in the tunnel, see the doctor". This is why I feel another ER visit in our future. I hope to be proven wrong, but we will see.

3 comments:

monique said...

I'm so sorry this happened! Poor Jack...I'm just glad everything ended up being okay...how are you doing, mom? love ya, MO

Amy said...

I just saw this!!! Poor baby! I can't believe I missed all the hullabaloo! What a trooper. I would have done the same thing. We had our first trip right before Cole turned 2 and we thought he ate a Christmas ornament hook. Ah, little boys...

cw0378 said...

I hope he is better! I don't even want to tell you about the # of times we've been to the ER...fingers almost cut off, concussion....i could go on! It is such a scary thing!